The Long Island Feline Adoption Center is a 501(c)(3) non-profit charity founded exclusively to find adoptive homes for homeless cats and kittens.
We provide an interim loving home and environment conducive to socializing cats and kittens – preparing them to both give and receive love in a new home.
Staffed by loving volunteers, our organization strives to dissolve the fear and mistrust of our guests, through caring, understanding, love and attention. Some of our guests roam cage-free in a simulated home environment 24 hours per day, seven days per week. Others, “not quite ready for 24/7” sleep in their “home” cages at night, but during the day they are free to roam and romp, play and socialize – eliminating the onset of depression from initial captivity and/or prolonged life in a cage – and making them truly and obviously happy. They even have their own TV and DVD changer system, with multiple screens playing videos made for cats – to entertain and guarantee that boredom never need set in – and as they normalize they make the transition to the cage-free area.
Trust and love are nurtured and developed in the felines so that they can then graduate to a truly “at-home” environment and socialize fully with others awaiting adoption. To aid in assimilation on adoption, our domesticated (some originally fully feral) guests enjoy a simulated “at home” environment – socializing with other cats and free to roam “the house” 24 hours per day.
We genuinely are thankful that our approach enriches lives and provides a gateway to a new and even better life in a new and loving home.
What we do:
- Accept homeless felines from Long Island (New York) and facilitate their adoption to appropriate homes.
- Place homeless felines into foster care when adoptive homes are unavailable.
- Work with a network of feline organizations which TNR, accepting from them the felines suitable for adoption after socialization.
- Accept lost domesticated felines after all efforts to find their owners have been exhausted.
- Provide shelter, food and medical care (through veterinary services) while finding suitable homes for the felines.
- Provide a facility for adoption where the felines and potential adopters can interact.
- Provide a nurturing and unique multi-stage environment that facilitates the socialization of homeless and abandoned felines.
- Provide a simulated at-home environment for our cats and kittens awaiting adoption.
As noted before, in short, we help frightened homeless cats and kittens learn to love and trust people – and then place them in loving homes.